Friday, March 1, 2013

Avocado Ombre Inspiration

You might think that as a style blogger, I read a lot of style blogs. You would be wrong. I hardly ever read style blogs, or even fashion magazines. What I do read all the time are food blogs and magazines. Baking, cooking, recipes, cheap eats, high-end restaurants, cooking for one, kid-friendly cooking, etc. I don't use Pinterest for fashion. I use it for recipes. And don't even get me started on Food Gawker. I love the pictures more than anything else. I often find myself eating dinner and feeling tempted to snap some photos and write a blog about it. I never do. At most I might put a photo up on Facebook, but I try to suppress my urge to do that since I hate looking at other people's food on Facebook. Also, my photos would usually be of a poorly lit, half-eaten meal. Not exactly the kind of visual delight that is typically found on most food publications.

Since my aspirations to become a great food blogger will likely never come to fruition, I've decided to stick to what I know: style and fashion. Tonight, I had a delicious grilled sandwich that would have made a great food blog. I used Ezekiel bread (my fave!), cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, jalapeno peppers and tomato. It was AWESOME. McKenzie made a similar sandwich at work the other day and I decided to try to recreate it. I was pretty successful, truth be told. It was a gorgeous sandwich- crispy, toasted bread; gooey, melted cheese; bright, juicy tomato and of course the gorgeous creamy ombre green of the avocado:


Isn't amazing how frequently we find beautiful inspiration from the most common, every day objects? Ombre existed in nature long before it was a fabric textile trend. And it's been an incredibly popular trend for several seasons now. It's not one that I've worn very much of, but that's not to say I don't think it can be beautiful. I like it in subtle touches, but the right garment on the right body in an ombre effect can be stunning. 


Ombre Skinny Jeans, Nordstrom, $78


Ombre Scarf, Target, $14.99

Obviously, there are plenty of other places in nature to find ombre inspiration- the rising and setting of the sun for one. Lots of flowers and other foliage for another. For anyone who knows me, it should be surprising that I've found it in food. 

Can you think of any other ombre-inspiration within nature? What about other trends? Leave a comment if you like! Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails