Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blue Jeans Birthday... Or Not...

I read on a website that December 5th is considered the "birthday of blue jeans." I made a mental note to write a blog post about jeans for that date. In preparing for the post, I did a little more research and learned that according to Levi's, the official birth date of blue jeans is May 20, 1873 because that is the day the patent was received for the design he created with a tailor by the name of Jacob Davis.

So, whether the birthday of blue jeans is in December or May, I've decided not to care and to just continue with my blog post anyway.

It was recently brought to my attention that I have never written a blog post about how to find the perfect pair of jeans. I've worn jeans in plenty of "Rate My Look" posts, but I've never done one of those "how-to" guides that you often see in fashion magazines. To be honest, I don't think I ever will. Here's why:

1.) There are literally millions of jeans to choose from and I just don't have the time or resources to research them all thoroughly and summarize my findings for you.

And

2.) The kind of jeans you like is so personal a choice, I wouldn't presume to tell you what to wear without knowing you.

I know plenty of people who love to wear low-rise skinny jeans. I HATE wearing them. I prefer a rise that's a little higher and boot cut is my favorite silhouette. Old Navy makes a jean called the "Sweetheart." It has a slightly higher rise, is available in a dark wash and comes in boot cut. I own at least six pair in various lengths as well as one white pair.

That is essentially my blue jean advice for you: keep looking until you find the pair that fits you the best. Then buy a LOT of them.

The Sweetheart Boot Cut Jean, Old Navy, $29.50

Are there better jeans out there than these from Old Navy? Most likely. But at $29.50, I can get a pair of jeans that fit my body perfectly, so I've stopped looking. Sometimes Old Navy even has a sale and sells all their jeans for just $19! That's usually the time that I stock up. You just can't beat the price, so why try? 

Yes, I have other jeans by other designers. I have a great pair of skinnies from Ralph Lauren that I found at TJ Maxx, as well as a few pair from the Gap, but nothing compares to the Old Navy Sweethearts. I buy them in two lengths- "Regular" which are the perfect length to wear with heels and "Short" which are the perfect length to wear with flats. I firmly believe in buying two lengths of your favorite jeans so that no matter what shoe you wear, you'll always be in your favorite jeans. It just makes good sense to me. 

What is your go-to pair of jeans? Do you have a specific brand you always buy, or are you still on the hunt for that elusive "perfect pair"? I'd love to know! You know how to comment, so do it! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails