Sunday, October 2, 2011

I've Been a Busy Bee

In addition to the day-to-day wedding talk I experience at work, and what little I've been doing to help Beth with her upcoming nuptials, I also will be attending two weddings next weekend. For the first, I'll be there to play piano for the ceremony. For the second, I'm merely a guest, so the most effort I'll need to put in will be wrapping a gift from the registry and putting together a pretty outfit. As if all of that weren't enough, I've been tasked with making not one, not two, but three dresses for friends of mine for upcoming weddings that they are involved in. Melanie was the first to see her nearly-completed look when she tried it on today. I wish I had taken photos of her wearing the dress since the lighting was far better this afternoon AND it looks a lot better on her than it does on my dress form. Regardless, I'm really excited about how this creation has turned out. It's a fitted bodice made with princess seams and a modified sweetheart neckline. The skirt is a fitted pencil shape that hits just above the knee. We're still debating what the final length will be. I feel it should hit just above the knee, while Melanie wants it a few inches shorter than that. In addition to this simple, flattering shape, I've added a single shoulder strap of asymmetrical ruffles that starts at the waistline and continues up over the shoulder to the back of the dress. It's really striking and it turns an otherwise simple, navy dress into a real stunner:


It's truly unfortunate how the terrible lighting ruins the look of this dress, but trust me, it's awesome in person. The fabric is a dark navy cotton sateen with a bit of stretch to it. It's one of my favorite types of fabric- I love working with it. 


Once the dress is pressed and finished, it's going to look fabulous on Melanie. With the wedding about four weeks away, I think we're in pretty good shape. I'm looking forward to seeing how she accessorizes the dress. I know she's selected a fabulous pair of nude heels, but I'm not sure what else she plans to wear with it. Hopefully next month I'll have photos from the wedding to show you of the finished product on Melanie. 

In the meantime, leave a comment and let me know what you think of my latest creation! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really can not tell you how much I love my dress! For any one reading this - you have no idea how talented this girl is, she has sewn me an amazing dress it is fantastic!
So Renee I am thinking about what you said about a "funner" shoe, what do you think? And I am still thinking shorter...I am a midget!

Related Posts with Thumbnails