Monday, August 15, 2011

Project Runway Season 9 Episode 3

Wow. I don't really have a lot to say about this episode except to say that is was whacked. Seriously- there were a lot of "huh?" moments for me. First, let's talk about how it's apparently impossible to walk even close to normal when you're on stilts. So, even the winning look, as elegant as it is, was awkward in motion because the model clearly HAS to walk with her legs spread apart. I laughed out loud when I saw it! At least it was pretty and as the judges said, it looked like a really great dress that had just been "stretched." Anyone could see how this would translate to ready-to-wear:

Laura and Anthony Ryan's Look

I'm not sure how I would feel if I'd won a challenge like this. It's just so bizarre. I really love the fact that the challenges are so creative and out-of-the-box, though. Kudos to the producers for keeping it interesting! 

Anyway, since I don't really feel able to discuss the many monstrosities that walked the runway this week, I'll focus on some other "looks." 

1.) I totally own this dress Becky is wearing (it's Target circa 2007) and I can't wait to pair it with a yellow cardigan: 

2.) Olivier's outfit reminds me of Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption. He wore his chambray prison shirt buttoned all the way up, too:


3.) Do you notice something interesting about this photo? 

I did. I see not 6, but 7 "stilt" models on the stage and one of them (to the left of Heidi) was never seen on the episode. Since this episode's runway show took place outdoors in front of a live audience, we have to assume that the two designers who have already been "auf'd" were part of the challenge as well. Or at least that's how it must have appeared to the live audience. This is common practice with PR, although up until now it's only happened for the final runway shows. Typically, when the finale is filmed at fashion week, the show has only aired to a certain point. The producers have some of the designers who have already been "auf'd" and they create decoy runway shows, too. That way, no one in the audience can know if they are seeing an actual competitor's show or just a decoy. It's kind of amazing, actually. What's not amazing is that horrific decoy design! 

Well, folks- that's all I've got this week, aside from saying that I mostly agree with the judges' decision this week. But I wouldn't have been upset if Bryce had gone home instead of Fallene. If he snarled his lip one more time and complained about how she didn't cut the fabric "on the grain," I think I might have thrown something at the TV in complete exasperation. I think he deserved to go home for being snide. I suppose it's a good thing I'm not a PR judge if I want to send people home for being rude and annoying. 

What about you? What did you think of the episode? Leave a comment and tell me! 

2 comments:

Tim W. said...

Like you, I'm not sure how to feel about this episode...it reminded me a bit of the couture challenge from season 3 when they flew the designers to Paris. It really seemed like this was an opportunity for the designers to go all out, except for the fact that they gave them no time to actually make anything close to couture. It was frustrating to watch teams like Bryce and Fallene or Bert and Viktor struggle and then not have enough time to fix their mistakes. I actually felt a little cheated watching the runway because it was so obvious that the designs weren't to the level the designers wanted.

I will also add that Josh M said the first smart thing in three episodes when he pointed out that the bottom teams all did costumes and the top teams actually attempted fashion. It seemed like a few of the teams forgot the point of PR is to be the best *fashion* designer, not costume designer.

Mrs.Spy said...

I own that same Target dress, too. I wear it with a white t-shirt under it or a green cardi.

I'm ready for Bryce to go home.

Related Posts with Thumbnails