Thursday, June 30, 2011

Shopping on Nantucket

I must admit, while visiting the island of Nantucket last week, I was a bit disappointed in the shopping available. I found the downtown area to be full of shops attempting to appeal to one of two major demographics on the island. The first was the high-end preppy attire that included the likes of Lily Pulitzer and Nantucket Reds as well as an assortment of other high-priced accessories and jewelry. The second was the tourist traps- full of "Nantucket" emblazoned hooded sweatshirts, t-shirts and of course countless tchotchkes such as magnets, figurines and "housewares."

My mom and I spent a good part of the afternoon wandering in and out of the many shops that made up the downtown area. I made one purchase- my new shell ring- which by some standards might be placed in the cheesy tchotchke category. (Not my standards, though- I think it's fabulous!)


Aside from a few cute printed dresses and one decent vintage shop, there wasn't a whole lot that appealed to me and even the pieces that did, were so far out of my price range as to be laughable. There was one item I saw, however, that although being too rich for my blood was also too fabulous not to notice- an amazing Leifsdottir sweater: 


At $248, there was not way it could come home with me. But I also feel my body type wouldn't do it justice- it's designed for someone long and lean and although I may admire and appreciate it, I know it's not meant for my wardrobe. I love that it has interesting detail without being over-designed. I love that it's a "summer" sweater- light weight and light in color, ideal as a top layer on the rare chilly summer nights of the shoulder seasons. It's artistic and beautiful and I wouldn't feel right if I hadn't shared it with you. 

In short, visit Nantucket for the scooters, not the sweaters. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails