Monday, June 27, 2011

Rate My Look- Shopping in Shorts

Yesterday was spent doing wedding-related things with my BFF Beth. She is getting married in November and we had some things to take care of, like finalizing the centerpiece design, discussing the issue of legally changing ones name (Do you take his name? Do you hyphen-ate? What about creating an entirely new last name for both of you?), and of course shopping for shoes and undergarments for the big day. I'm proud to say that we found both for Beth. Well, we definitely found "the" shoes to go with "the" dress. The undergarments are a little more tricky, but we found options, which is important. My dress (which you will not see on the blog until after the wedding- sorry!) is a lovely scoop-neck and I must admit that I am THRILLED to be able to wear a normal bra with it. I even bought a cute floral one with coordinating (but not matching) lace panties that I am super psyched to wear. Cute underwear makes me happy, but don't worry, I'll never feature it as part of any "Rate My Look" post.

The bottom line is that while shoe and underwear shopping can be some of the most enjoyable shopping that women do, it's very different when a wedding is involved in the equation. Normally, shoe shopping has no rules. Shoe shopping for a wedding? Totally different. And I mean for the bride AND the wedding party. For example, I'm someone who tends to make bold shoe choices on a daily basis. I have no qualms about wearing a pair of sky-high bright purple stilettos to the office or even to a cookout. Inappropriate footwear? I don't understand those terms. If I like them and they are eye-catching, then I want to wear them. But when it comes to being a bridesmaid, I have the opposite approach. I want to look pretty, of course. And since shoes are sort of "my thing," I of course don't want to disappoint in that area. But I also don't want to do anything that would even remotely resemble an attempt to upstage the bride. After all, it's not about me that day- it's about her. (And the groom. But his shoes will be boring, so there's no way I won't upstage them. Sorry, dude.) The good news is that I think I've found a great pair of shoes for myself that strike that happy medium. I'll be sure to check with the bride to make sure she approves. And fortunately, today we found the most fabulous pair of shoes for Beth that are actually way more fabulous than the shoes I am hoping to wear. I figure as long as her shoes are better than mine, then I'm good. Again, you will not see photos of anything for the wedding until after November 12th. But I can promise her shoes are amazing. A-MA-ZING.

But enough about all of that- let's get to the outfit. I wanted to be casual and comfortable and I was not in a mood to put much effort into my outfit. This is what I came up with:


Clearly, I have an obsession with bright citrus colors this summer, since I can't stop putting them together. This clementine- colored shirt and lime green bag work really well together to create a fun, on-trend summer outfit. The shoes, by Sofft, I bought last year and they have proven to be an excellent pair of nude wedges- great for a day spent on my feet. The shorts I purchased at Forever 21 for my day-trip to Nantucket, but I have a feeling I'm going to be getting a lot of wear out of them. They button on either side just like sailor pants, and they are in the impossible-to-find perfect length for my legs. I wish the wash was a smidge darker, but to be fair, they are a better color in real life than they are in this photo. The accessories I chose included a pair of Stella and Dot earrings as well as my new shell ring that I bought in Nantucket. All in all, it was a great outfit for shopping and accomplishing wedding-related tasks. I looked and felt great all day long. 

Please feel free to leave a comment about my outfit, shopping for wedding attire, or anything else you like! Happy Monday, everyone! 

2 comments:

Beth said...

The shoes are amazing! I am glad they are at my parents' house, or I'd be wearing them (and wearing them out) right now! Also, your outfit was even more adorable in person. Hey, let's coin a new word: adorabelle. It's for things that are both adorable and beautiful-- elevated above mere cuteness. Your outfit was adorabelle.

Renée T. Habashy said...

You're adorabelle. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails