Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Project Runway Season 9 Will Be Here Soon!

The ninth season in the Project Runway franchise airs exactly two weeks from tonight on Lifetime. Are you excited for that? I have to admit, after the incredibly disappointing end to last season, I'm having trouble getting excited for the upcoming one. It doesn't help that nearly eight months have passed since the finale of season 8- the momentum of the show seems to have slowed a bit, at least for me. I don't doubt the producers are aware of that, though, as there is buzz all over the internet about Project Runway All-Stars and a new show- Project Accessory.

In addition to despising the judges for selecting Gretchen as the winner, I was disappointed at the end of the season because I felt the producers wasted a lot of air time with the new 90-minute format. With an extra 30 minutes on each episode, I really hoped to see more of the contestants in the workroom. I wanted to hear more about the design process, the roadblocks they encountered and the sewing techniques they used. Instead, we got an extra 30 minutes of whining and back-stabbing remarks, with so little of it actually retaining my interest. If the producers choose to stick with the new 90-minute format and focus the extra minutes on things unrelated to the designing, I will likely be fast-forwarding through much of the episodes to get directly to the runway show and judges deliberation.

Of course, you never know what to expect these days, so there is always a great chance that I'll be completely wrong with my predictions and instead of a disappointing 9th season, I could end up with my favorite season of all. My fingers are crossed for that, anyway. I'll find out in two weeks. Will you be watching?

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Yes, I will be watching. I was dissappointed in the winner last season, too. And I hoped the longer format would be used to showcase the design process and the construction process in the workroom. I guess the producers thought that was dull and they'd get better ratings by focusing on the drama. I'm going to give it another chance, after all, I've loved the show for years, but I sure hope the new season is better than the last.

Renée T. Habashy said...

Shannon- I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my impression of last season. Hopefully this season will improve! :)

Maria said...

I totally agree with your assessment of last season. Here's hoping they spend more time on the actual designs this season. And that we don't have to look at any granny panty shorts this time around.

Renée T. Habashy said...

OMG- the granny panties!!! They were SOOOO awful!

eathrond said...

I am extremely excited for the new season and I am busy planning my annual season premier party. But just to be clear, season 9 doesn't start until July 27th...so we will be waiting a little longer than the two weeks you stated in your article...

Renée T. Habashy said...

eathrond- Thanks for the clarification on the start of season 9! I'll be sure to post a correction!

Related Posts with Thumbnails