Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mix it Up with and a Different Neckline

I don't know about you, but I often find myself in a bit of a rut in terms of the clothes that I buy. Shopping can be a double-edged sword in the sense that once you find something that works for you, and I mean really works for you, you want to purchase more of the same thing. Whether it's the silhouette of a day dress, the rise of a pair of jeans, or a specific heel height and width- once you find something that you know you'll wear all the time, it' hard not to shop for similar pieces.

Of course, after a few months, sometimes that means a closet full of the same theme, all in a minor variation. I'm definitely that way, particularly where silhouette and neckline are concerned. I can count on one hand the number of dresses in my closet that aren't a simple scoop neckline. I own one halter dress, a couple of strapless, and a few other random necklines. As for silhouette? I've branched out from full and circle skirts and now my closet also includes some slim a-line and pencil shapes, too. Every one of them emphasizes my natural waist, though. I'm remarkably consistent in that regard, at least.

Since finding a silhouette that is flattering and comfortable isn't always easy, I can understand why you wouldn't want to deviate from it once you find it. In order to avoid feeling like you are in a rut, look for pieces that mix it up in other ways- ways that don't effect the silhouette at all. Neckline is a perfect example. A unique, asymmetrical neckline can add a whole lot of visual interest to a look and you won't have to compromise on silhouette at all! Check out these dresses with interesting necklines:



Always a Plus Dress, Modcloth, $44.99

I'm not sure I could wear the last dress, as I generally try to avoid dresses that require I either not wear a bra, or I wear a strapless one. It's still pretty darn cute, though, don't you think? 

Are you in a wardrobe rut right now? What do you do to pull yourself out of it? Obviously shopping is the easy answer, but is there something else you can do without shopping that makes you feel like you've got  a fresh new wardrobe? Leave a comment and tell me what works for you to stay out of a rut while also saving money! I'd love to hear from you! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

All three are gorgeous, my fav is #1 though! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails