Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kate Middleton Wedding Gown Replica



Take a minute to watch the video above. It's certainly an incredible feat for the design staff to have re-created Kate Middleton's wedding gown a mere 48 hours after the world first viewed it. As a professional in the bridal industry, I have to admit, I'm a bit baffled. I understand the idea behind emulating celebrity styles, but an exact replica of a wedding gown? I think it's going too far.

Everything you choose to wear should be selected because of YOUR personal style and taste. Yes, Kate Middleton is a snappy dresser and yes, we all want to wear Alexander McQueen if we can, but we should want to wear something because it is appealing on a personal level not because the future Queen of England wore it. If I choose to emulate a celebrity's style, it is not because of who that celebrity is, it's because I like the look. I'm not saying that all the brides who choose to wear a replica version of Kate Middleton's dress are doing it to be like a princess for a day. I do believe there are other women out there who want to wear a lace bodice/satin skirt gown because it is what they love the most and what will ultimately make them feel the best on their wedding day. However, I also feel there is a bit of a craze over everything the Duchess of Cambridge dons these days. I love her style as much as the next person, but that's exactly what it is- HER style. Perhaps there are elements of her style that you may want to incorporate into your outfits, but to completely replicate her dresses- the engagement announcement dress, the engagement photo dress, and especially the bridal gown- seems to be abandoning your own personal style in favor of hers.

I've mentioned before that it's a good idea to select a style icon- someone whose fashion choices you can emulate to help improve your own wardrobe selections. I still stand behind this advice because the goal is not to replicate a celebrity style. The goal is to find your own unique look- to incorporate ideas you see in others in a way that is flattering to your body and that suits your unique lifestyle. Emulate, don't replicate.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

Maria said...

I think a lot of people don't have their own personal style, and wouldn't know how to express it if they did. They just follow whatever is trendy, regardless of how appropriate it is for their age, size, shape, or where they are wearing it.

Of course, this is why more people should follow your blog! :)

Tracie Carlton said...

I could not agree more...

I used to work in the wedding industry and THIS is the reason why we have a no return policy... cause girls buy what others want them to be in instead of what THEY actually look good in and like...

btw, the satin in the replica makes the down look cheap, to me - kate's was more matte... and since when was henry roth exclusive to THAT store?

Related Posts with Thumbnails