Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Shoesday Tuesday- My BOGO Boots in Action

Last week, I showed you guys my new boots purchased at Payless for cheap- BOGO! I love BOGO sales, unless I find myself with an odd number of items that I like. Then I usually end up either putting one back and regretting it, or adding a fourth that I don't really need and then I regret that. It's a lose-lose. That's why I'm always happy when I find just two items that I love and there is a BOGO sale. That was the case with my new boots. I wanted grey and brown flat boots for work. I don't mind that I bought the exact same pair in two different colors because I figure that if I really like something, I'll wear it. And rather than try to find a different but really similar pair elsewhere, why not just get them both at the bargain price they were offering, right? Right!

Anyway, I wore the grey ones twice in the last few days. First, I helped my brother move into a new apartment and I figured they would be comfortable for trekking up and down a lot of stairs- he now lives on the third floor (no elevator). They worked out great:

I realized after the fact that this outfit would have been even better if I'd topped it off with a cute hat. Oh, well- hindsight is 20/20, right? I liked the bright combination of the turquoise top and the hot pink scarf- it's unexpected and a little bit quirky. The sweater was purchased the same night I got the boots. I had a 30% off coupon for Old Navy, and knowing I needed some black separates for work, I decided to shop there. I was pretty successful- I left with two skirts, a top and a sweater, all for about $55! Between that and the boots, I had quite the bargain shopping night. And I purchased quite a few staples that are versatile and comfortable- I know I'll wear them all a LOT! If you like the sweater, it's available on Old Navy's website here, although I have to tell you that the online price is MUCH higher than the price in stores. Mine was marked down to $14.99 BEFORE my 30% off coupon. 

The next day I was dressing for work and decided I wanted to give the boots another spin. I paired them with one of the cute skirts I got on my Old Navy shopping spree: 

It was a warm day and I didn't need a heavy coat, so my Ann Taylor denim jacket did the job just fine. (P.S. Don't you love how the color-blocking on my skirt is just like the paint job on the side of this building I'm standing in front of? Me, too!) One unfortunate thing is that my skirt is super wrinkled in the photo. I have a 45 minute commute and I'm having trouble figuring out how to avoid wrinkles on the drive. Any suggestions? All I can come up with is driving bottom-less. 

Anyway, since it was warm, I took off the jacket for a few photos, figuring you'd want to see the whole outfit: 

You can see my earrings a lot better in this photo. I'm also wearing my Scrabble ring, but with my hands in my pockets, how would you know? This may not be the most creative looks I've ever worn, but it certainly is one of the most comfortable. 

Next up is an outfit that incorporates the brown version of these boots: 


First of all, you should note that because of the high placement of the belt, even in flats, this outfit has an elongating effect. For more on that subject, visit this post, where I explain the concept in detail. That's not the focus of the outfit today, though. Today, I have a story about this outfit. While driving on an errand the other day, I saw a tree with leaves that were a vibrant red. It's strange to see a tree at its peak right now- most of the leaves have fallen and the ones that remain are mostly brown. But that one tree, still holding onto its color made me smile. It was absolutely gorgeous, especially when surrounded by the bare trees and fallen leaves all around it. It made me want to wear a bold, red dress- something that would make me stand out. Sometimes it's easy to blend in to the way everyone else is doing things. Whether it's the status quo with your fashion choices, or even something bigger like the way you behave in your relationship or your professionalism at work. Why not take a moment (or a day) to stand out from the crowd? Show off your colors when everyone else is fading into the background. Think of an aspect of your life where you tend to let yourself shy away and then make the choice to stand out from the crowd. 

And if you can do it in cute flat boots, more power to you. 

Happy #ShoesdayTuesday, everyone! Don't forget to tweet!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love all of these outfits! Especially the grey block skirt. Did you make it?

Renée T. Habashy said...

Thanks, Mel! I didn't make that skirt- I actually got it at Old Navy. I had a 30% off coupon PLUS it was on sale! Yippee! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails