Monday, September 13, 2010

NYFW Favorites- Half-way done

Last night marked the half-way point of Fashion Week, so I thought I'd do a round-up of my favorite looks up to this point. Much as I expected, there aren't any collections that compare to Christian Siriano's, at least for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with a different style sensibility who think there are lots of shows that are more exciting than Christian's, but if you know me at all, you know my style and you know that Christian's show was chock-full of looks I die for.

That being said, there were still plenty of amazing looks on the runways at Lincoln Center. The show that came the closest for me was Carolina Herrera. Her looks all seemed to be inspired by antique flower and plant prints like these. Some of the designs integrated the prints in really clever and interesting ways. Other seemed to simply be tacked ono the dress. In most cases, it was a stunning effect. Herrera also featured a slim, 60's style silhouette, much along the lines of what Joan Holloway would wear. I drooled over so many of her looks:






The gowns were also really stunning. I loved Herrera's use of prints:




Jason Wu's show was also quite beautiful. I loved some of his more formal looks as well as his separates. He also featured the slim 60's silhouette, but in a slightly shorter hemline. I also fell in love with the oversize bows done in soft sheers. The two ruffle-y cocktail dresses below are both reminiscent dresses shown in Christian Siriano's Project Runway show, so that's probably why I like them so much.








Few designers had me falling in love with more than a couple of looks, but I still took the time to scroll through nearly every picture of every show that's happened thus far. Here are a few of my favorite looks so far:

Cynthia Rowley's collection featured lots of round cut-outs in nearly every look. Sometimes I loved it, other times not so much. I did like these two looks:


Erin Featherston featured gorgeous fedoras with super-feminine dresses in prints and solids. Her fabric choices and prints were simply luxurious:






Z Spoke by Zac Posen and Vivienne Tam each had one look that I loved, too:

I loved the criss-cross blue fabric draping on this dress by Zac Posen:

It's not often you see lace like on this Vivienne Tam dress:

So far, the most notable aspects of the shows I've seen are the abundance of neutrals. So many of these shows are nearly or completely devoid of color. Whether resort, couture or ready-to-wear, I've seen a lot of beige, cream and grey. Not that I mind, a lot of it is really beautiful.

Do you have any thoughts on the designs that have shown already? Leave a comment! And enjoy the rest of fashion week!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I really like the looks you chose to highlight. And I have to agree, those two ruffly cocktail dresses from Jason Wu– Christian did them first. In fact, I feel like I see a lot of stuff that reminds me of his Project Runway collection (even Irena's stuff). I don't know whether he was just visionary, or whether he was drawing on ideas that have long existed in fashion. Probably some combination of both.

As an aside, I think most of the models look like zombies. They are so skinny and have such dead eyes. Yuck. Don't clothes look better on people who look like they're enjoying wearing them?

Related Posts with Thumbnails