Friday, March 26, 2010

Vintage Inspiration

My latest assignment at AMT is to design the wardrobe for "California Soul" a rockin' tribute to the music of the 60's & 70's, specifically geared towards the west coast. There is so much great music in this show, but what I'm loving the most about it is all the fun research I get to do. The late 60's through the early 80's were a crazy time for fashion, particularly the 70's. Psychadelic prints, maxi-dresses, big hair (on women AND men), platform shoes, bell bottoms, I love all of it. It's a lot of clothing that I personally might not have the nerve to wear, but that's what make the fantasy of it so much more enjoyable. I've encountered some great style icons in my research including:

Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane
Janis Joplin
The 5th Dimension
Twiggy, the icon of icons

All the clothing is so over the top, but I adore it all. We all know what a treasure trove of vintage can be found on Etsy, so here are some fabulous inspiring pieces from various vintage etsy stores for all of you:

Does this dress make you go cross-eyed like me?

As Tim Gunn would say, this maxi dress is a lot of look!

Is there anything more "hippie chic" for a hippie chick than this cool printed blouse?

Well maybe, but it would have to be these zipper trimmed bell bottom jeans!

Let's not forget the stylish options for men! Every guy needs a great dashiki, right?

I also love a guy who can rock a fur-trimmed collar on a coat like this.
And what vintage 70's round-up would be complete without a pair of fierce platforms?
And finally, don't you just die for this swirly Mod dress?

I tend to look better in 50's style silhouettes (a-line and full skirts), but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the silhouettes of the following 2 decades. Do you have a vintage style icon? Leave a comment and tell me all about your faves!

2 comments:

The Cat and The Cow said...

So cute!! I love the photo of Twiggy and those platforms are to die for! Love them!

Beth said...

This makes me want to go thrift store shopping! What a fun show this will be.

Related Posts with Thumbnails