Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy Palindrome Day (01/02/2010)

I know the fact that it's a palindrome day has nothing to do with fashion, but I felt the need to acknowledge it anyway. In other news, I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't blogged since before the new year and that's for a couple of reasons. First, I've been steadily blogging without really taking many days off at all, so I felt entitled to a couple of days rest. Second, my computer recently died so blogging isn't as easy as it was a month ago. Third and final reason is that even though I wasn't writing blog posts over the last few days, I have still been reading them and everyone seems to be writing lots of year-end summaries and resolutions for the new year. As my blog has only existed since mid-summer, it felt silly to post the "Best of 2009." I also didn't want to set a tone for the year based solely on the fact that it is the first day of the year. I have ideas about how I want to spend 2010 in terms of fashion and style, but I also don't want to write the 01/01/10 post to define it only to let myself and all my readers down if I can't make good on my promises and ideas. So, here I am on a palindrome day with a few pictures from the last couple of days. I'm going to continue this blog in the same way as last year because that seems to be working for me. I hope that it's also working for you!


And now on to the last outfits of 2009:


First up is my outfit from last Wednesday- I wore this to work. It's my favorite pair of high-waisted sailor pants with a melon-colored top and my favorite oxford heels. Looking at it in the picture, it may appear as though I have under-accessorized, but I would beg to differ. What you can't see very well are my earrings, which are the vintage clip-ons I featured in this post. You also can't see the cocktail ring on my finger as my hands are in my pockets, but it's the baubles ring from this post.



This peachy-melon is not my favorite color and yet whenever I wear it, I receive all sorts of compliments on how great the color looks on me, so it just goes to show that you should never pigeon-hold yourself in terms of any particular color. Or any particular anything for that matter. Speaking of pigeon-holing, I've always labeled myself as someone who doesn't have great hair. I never really know what to do with it. Thank goodness I work in theatre and am able to watch all the women in the various casts I've worked with. I see all the tricks they use, but of course not all of them work. If there's anything I've learned it's that you need to work with what you've got. What do I have? Limp, lifeless, flat, no volume hair. One could go so far as to say that I don't really have a "hair style." Here's my hair looking pretty decent:





Not amazing, but also not offensive so I'll take it. If anyone out there has a suggestion (or two) for how I can improve my hair style, I'm always open to an opinion. Generally, my hair is happiest when it is flat against my head- either pulled back into a ponytail or a clip, or just draped around my face. My hair makes ME happiest when it is BIG. I'll happily admit to watching southern-belle-pageant-esqe shows in an effort to learn about volume and how on earth those ladies achieve it. I'm not asking for hair like Dolly Parton's. After all, hers is a wig, but I wouldn't mind just a touch more volume. I've teased and curled and sprayed my hair to within an inch of its life, only to have it completely deflate five minutes later. I'm also happy to take suggestions on improving my make-up technique (or lack thereof). Comment away, lovely readers!


Next outfit of the day is the dress I wore for New Year's. I had a fun-filled New Year's Eve day and night. In the afternoon I went to see a show with some friends, followed by a spectacular dinner in Philadelphia with another circle of friends and then back to Lancaster for the actual dropping of the ball.



I know this dress came from Marshalls or TJ Maxx, but it's been over a year since I bought it (probably more like over 2 years to be honest), so I can't hold myself responsible for remembering what it cost. All I can promise is that it was less than $30 as that is generally my price-cut-off for pretty much everything I buy. It's so rare for me to spend more than $30 that I could probably list for you all the items I purchased in the last year that fall into that category. And I could probably count them on one hand. What can I say, I'm thrifty! Anyway, back to the dress. It's a cowl-neck, jersey knit, empire waist dress with little cap sleeves. I adore it but for some reason I never wear it in the summer or spring. There's something about it that makes me feel like it's a fall/winter dress. I always feel amazing in it, though. Add black tights , my go-to cardigan and my somewhat- new- round- toe wedges and it's a great outfit for a casual dinner party or an afternoon at the theatre. I suppose that since I wore this dress to ring in the new year, it's both the final outfit of 2009 and the first outfit of 2010. I like it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails