Sunday, September 27, 2009

Earring storage

If you are anything like me, you have what feels like a million pairs of earrings. Storing all of them is a bit of an issue. For the last year I've utilized a simple method that I would like to share with all of you. It cost about $5 to make and it is the most effective earring storage method I've ever used. Here it is:


I don't intend to have this blog function as an arts & crafts do-it-yourself style website, but this has been such a great piece both in terms of function and aesthetic that I felt I should share it. To make it, you will need:

1 piece of cardboard measuring 12 by 18 inches (or thereabouts- make it as large or as small as you like- make it a circle if you like)

1 piece of fabric about 2-3 inches larger than the cardboard on all sides (as you can see, I used white satin, but you can use whatever you like)

1 piece of batting the same size as the fabric

1 spool of 1/2 inch ribbon (once again, you can see that I've used a satin ribbon, but any type you like will work just fine- organza, grosgrain, whatever you like)

1 stapler or staple gun

Lay the fabric right side down on a table or flat surface. Lay the batting on top of the fabric. Place the cardboard in the center. Starting in the middle of each side of the cardboard, pull the fabric & batting and staple in place. Work your way around the cardboard until the fabric is secure. Cut the ribbon in lengths to fit diagonally across the fabric-covered board. Staple each end of the ribbon to the back of the cardboard, making sure to pull the ribbon taught. Attach the "handle" ribbon by stapling it in place. Hang it where you like using a small nail or thumbtack. Place your earrings on the "X's" formed by the ribbon. As you can see in the photo, mine holds over 30 pair of earrings. It also displays them in a way that makes it easy to pick a pair to wear each day- no rifling through jewelry drawers and boxes. For me the old expression "out of sight, out of mind" is all too poignant, so having my earrings where I can see them helps me out a LOT. Let me know if you make one of these- take a picture of it (or any jewelry storage method you think is fabulous) and I'll post it here on the blog.

1 comment:

Wear Necessities said...

Great idea!!! I'm always short on space for my jewelry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails