Friday, August 21, 2009

Opening Night!

As if the excitement of the Project Runway premier wasn't enough, tonight is opening night of Broadway's Best the Music at American Music Theatre where I work as Costume Designer. This show was an interesting challenge, because as the title suggests, it is a concert version of the songs. Very little of the wardrobe in this show is a literal representation of what would be on stage in the actual show. Picture a concert at Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center- this show is chock full of tuxes and gowns and beautiful dresses. It was a lot of fun to work on it, but I'm always happy when a show is finally up and I can relax for a moment before jumping into the next one! I though that today I would share some photos from our final dress rehearsal yesterday. This first photo is from the "Mamma Mia" medley and I have to say that I LOVE the sequin boots on Michelle (center w/yellow top). They are SO much fun! And where else could I possibly get away with sequin boots, right? They crack me up every time. Speaking of Michelle, that girl kills "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked- she's amazing. Here is a perfect example of the "concert"style of dress I mentioned above- rather than actually dress her as Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, I've chosen a gown that is reminiscent of the character. I wish the picture did this gown justice. The beadwork is absolutely tremendous and it is phenomenal on stage. Another amazing performer in the show is Travis. He is an incredible dancer and at 6'4" he has a huge presence on stage- literally! All the dancers have to work SO hard in this show, but Travis especially because he has SO many lifts to do! Here are a few:

Isn't that last one ridiculous?!?! One arm! Incredible! I just love Travis- not only is he a great dancer, but he's a joy to work with in every way. Actually, all of our dancers are a joy to work with in every way and it would be a shame not to mention them all. Shannon, Melanie and Andy- I love you all!

Well, that's it for now- I don't want to give it all away in one post! I hope you've enjoyed these pictures- I know I had fun working on all the costumes! But now it's on to the next show
!

P.S. All photos in this post are courtesy of Ken Bruggeman of AMT's Marketing department. Thanks, Ken!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails